Facility siting is used to assess the location of buildings based upon known hazards. ABS Consulting is a leading provider of facility siting services, performing more than 200 corporate facility siting studies for a wide range of explosion, fire and toxic material hazards in refining, petrochemical and specialty chemical processes.
Our services include:
- Accident scenario development
- Explosion, toxic and fire hazard prediction
- Risk and consequence evaluation
- Remedial action development
- Hazard management near portable buildings
- Facility siting study updates
- Occupancy, explosion consequence and risk screening analysis
- Structural assessments of existing buildings for blast loads and modeling
- Facility siting guidelines and corporate risk criteria development
- Explosion testing to evaluate structural response to blast, including structural retrofits
Guideline and Process Development
The OSHA 29 CFR Part 1910.119 Process Safety Management (PSM) regulation requires facility siting to be addressed in an organization's Process Hazard Analyses (PHAs).
ABS Consulting was also involved in developing many facility siting guidelines, including:
- API Recommended Practice 752, Management of Hazards Associated with Location of Process Plant Buildings
- ASCE publication, Design of Blast Resistant Buildings in Petrochemical Facilities and the Center for Chemical Process Safety
- CCPS publication, Guidelines for Process Plant Buildings for External Explosions and Fires
Following an accident at BP's Texas City refinery in 2005, ABS Consulting was retained as a consultant by BP U.S. Refineries Independent Safety Review Panel.
Following the Texas City incident, the American Petroleum Institute (API) developed API RP-753 - Management of Hazards Associated with Location of Process Plant Portable Buildings. The new Recommended Practice (RP) addresses the siting of portable buildings at process plants and refineries. The standard was developed by industry experts, including staff from ABS Consulting, assisted by API staff.
The four objectives for API RP-753 include:
- Providing guidance on the safe placement of portable buildings
- Minimizing the presence of personnel in refinery process areas
- Minimizing the use of occupied portable buildings in refinery process areas
- Designing, constructing and installing these buildings or trailers for the protection of the occupants
For more information...
Contact ABS Consulting directly via e-mail, telephone or fax...
email@example.com | Tel: 1-281-673-2800 | Fax: 1-281-673-2950
+44 192 528 7300
+44 1925 287 301
OR submit a question or request and we'll get back to you...