Root Cause Analysis and Human Error Prevention Essentials
This 2½-day course combines the essential elements from our popular Root Cause Analysis and Human Error Prevention courses to provide you with the essential elements needed to investigate simple to moderately complex issues and address the human performance issues that are contributors to these performance problems. In the first part of this course, you will learn efficient and effective root cause analysis/incident investigation tools for identifying causal factors, root causes, and recommendations. The second part of this course targets the analysis of human performance issues.
Who Should Attend:
- Operations, maintenance, and other personnel who are involved in day-to-day problem solving and investigations
- Managers and supervisors who need investigation/problem solving basics and to improve their human performance problem solving skills
Benefits of Attending:
- Learn how to identify root causes (not just causal factors) using proven techniques
- Investigate simple to moderately complex problems and incidents
- Apply these techniques to everyday issues and become a more effective problem solver
- Access to ABS Consulting’s extensive on-line resources for investigators and problem solvers
- Receive our 300-page Root Cause Analysis Handbook (a $129 value) that includes details on every step of RCAs and incident investigations, including step-by-step guides for causal factor charting, timelines and cause and effect trees
- Receive the SOURCE™ Investigator's Toolkit to help you gather and organize your data
- Receive a Root Cause Map and access to our on-line guidance for your company's use, as well a FREE Excel template for documenting your cause and effect trees, timelines, and CBC analyses
Duration: 2.5 days
- Cause and effect trees
- ABS Consulting's Root Cause Map
- Effective four-level approach to address short-term corrective actions
- Long-term corrective actions that are needed
- Identify underlying reasons why human errors occur
- Use condition behavior consequence analysis to help identify practical solutions to human performance problems
- Identify and categorize human errors to identify conditions and situations that contributed to the problem
- Identify solutions associated with each category of problem
Day 1: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Root Cause Analysis
- Basics of Incidents and Investigations
- Three principles for achieving operations excellence
- Root cause/management system approach to root cause analysis (RCA)
- Terminology: causal factor, root cause, management system, safeguard
- Workshop: Identifying causal factors and root causes
- Analyzing Data
- Cause and effect trees
- Workshop: Developing cause and effect trees (instructor-led)
- Workshop: Developing cause and effect trees (student groups)
- Identifying Root Causes
- What is a root cause?
- Procedure for identifying root causes
- The Root Cause Map
- Workshop: Identifying root causes (instructor-led)
- Workshop: Identifying root causes (student groups)
Day 2: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Developing Recommendations
- Key recommendation concepts
- Four levels of recommendations
- Recommendation hierarchy
- Workshop: Developing recommendations (instructor-led)
- Workshop: Developing recommendations (student groups)
- Initiating Investigations
- Securing the site
- Overview of incident management tasks
- Overview of investigation teams
- Gathering Data
- Types of data: The four P’s: people, physical, paper, and position
- Fragility of data
- Investigation Programs
- Common incident investigation/RCA program problems
- General Resources
- SOURCE™ Toolkit – useful data collection forms
- Pocket guide to investigation
- Course study guide
- Human Error Prevention
- Goal of human error analysis
- Understanding human error and its influences
- Human error categories and associated solutions
- Workshop: Categorizing human errors
Day 3: 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Condition Behavior Consequence (CBC) Methodology
- What is CBC analysis?
- When should CBC analysis be used?
- CBC analysis steps
- Video 1: Identifying conditions, behaviors, and consequences
- Video 2: Identifying conditions, behaviors, and consequences
- Workshop 1: CBC analysis – instructor lead
- Workshop 2: CBC analysis – student groups
- Workshop 3: CBC analysis – student groups
- Other human error analysis techniques
- Hazard Identification
- Human Error Prevention
- Human Error Prevention Essentials
- Maritime RCA Incident/Investigation
- Root Cause Analysis and Incident Investigation | with RootCause LEADER™ Software
- Root Cause Analysis Essentials
Quickly identify the root causes of any type of incident, event, accident, near miss, reliability problem, quality impact, or business loss using RootCause LEADER™ software.
RootCause LEADER Features | Download Free Trial
ABS Consulting assists with investigations of safety, reliability, quality, production, and environmental losses with proven, structured analysis techniques. Call our 24-hour help line at (865) 368-4357.
Download the SOURCE Investigator's Toolkit™, a sample report form, and Excel templates. Used in conjunction with our SOURCE methodology and our training course, these FREE tools will help you perform efficient and effective analyses.
Purchase the Root Cause Analysis Handbook directly from our publisher. A companion to the SOURCE technique and Root Cause Map.
Read the following papers on Human Factors:
For more information...
Contact ABS Consulting directly via e-mail, telephone or fax...
email@example.com | Tel: 1-800-769-1199 | Fax: 1-281-673-2931
OR submit a question or request and we'll get back to you...