Maritime Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and Incident Investigation Awareness
This 1-day version of our popular Maritime RCA / Incident Investigation course is designed for personnel performing investigations of simple incidents. The focus of this course is on identifying causal factors, root causes, and recommendations for human performance and equipment issues.
Who Should Attend
- Shipboard personnel performing investigations of simple incidents
Benefits of Attending
- Learn how to investigate simple incidents; meet requirements of TMSA Element 8 and DPA Element 3 for shipboard personnel
- Receive valuable materials: course book with complete solutions to example problems; the ABS Marine RCA Map™; and compact disc containing: ABS Guidance Notes on Investigation of Marine Incidents; ABS Marine RCA Map™; and Excel® templates for documenting the analysis techniques taught in class
Duration: 1 Day
Day 1: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Basics of Incidents and Investigations
- Three principles for achieving operations excellence
- Root cause/management system approach to root cause analysis (RCA)
- Terminology: causal factor, root cause, management system, safeguard
- Workshop: Identifying causal factors and root causes
- Overall incident investigation management system
- Gathering Data
- Types of data: The four P's: people, physical, paper and position
- Analyzing Data
- Procedure for developing an incident timeline
- Workshop: Developing timeline for example incident
- Identifying Root Causes
- What is a root cause?
- Procedure for identifying root causes
- Procedure for developing a 5-why tree
- Workshop: Developing 5-why tree for example incident
- The ABS Marine Root Cause Analysis Map
- Workshop: Identifying root causes
- Developing Recommendations
- Four levels of recommendations
- Workshop: Developing recommendations
- Maritime RCA / Incident Investigation
- Advanced Maritime RCA / Incident Investigation
- Risk Assessment Implementation
ABS Consulting assists with maritime accident investigations with proven, structured analysis techniques. Call our 24-hour help line at (865) 368-4357.
This course can be taught at your facility.
Download the ABS Guidance Notes on Investigation of Marine Incidents and Supplements that include the ABS Marine RCA Map and Excel templates that can be used to document analytical techniques addressed in the course. The training and these tools will help you perform efficient and effective analyses.
Purchase the 580-page ABS Guidance Notes on Investigation of Marine Incidents (ABS Publication 142) by emailing your request to email@example.com.
For more information...
Contact ABS Consulting directly via e-mail, telephone or fax...
firstname.lastname@example.org | Tel: 1-800-769-1199 | Fax: 1-281-673-2931
OR submit a question or request and we'll get back to you...