Chemistry for Non-Chemists
This course reviews the basic chemistry principles behind environmental regulations and requirements. It gives the background information needed for understanding chemical releases, material safety data sheets (MSDSs), and lab and sample reports.
Who Should Attend:
- Those with no chemical background
- Those who need a refresher
Benefits of Attending:
- Learn how chemicals are transported through the environment and where to look if a release occurs
- Learn which hazardous wastes are unstable and may potentially react with other chemicals
- Find out what an MSDS means in real-world terms
- Discover how to read and understand laboratory analytical reports and identify potential problems with the data
- Understand the special properties of water, carbon, hydrocarbons, metals, nonmetals, acids, and bases
- IHMM-1.0 CMPs; NESHTA-16 CE Hrs; NEHA-13 CE Hrs; 1.7 CEUs, 1.7 COCs, 2.67 CMs, ABIH approval #10-265
Duration: 2.5 days
Day 1: 8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
- Defining and Understanding Matter
- Reviewing the Periodic Table
- Metric Measurement
- Structure and Bonding
- Nuclear Chemistry and Radioactivity
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Case Studies
Day 2: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Day 1 review
- Organic Chemistry: Understanding Functional Groups and Classes of Organic Compounds
- Biological Chemistry
- The Chemistry of Water
- The Chemistry Behind MSDSs
- MSDS Case Study
- Chemical Compatibility
- Case Studies: Hazardous Waste Characteristics
Day 3: 8:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Day 2 review
- Chemical and Physical Reactions
- Sampling and Analysis
- Advanced U.S. Environmental Laws
- Chemistry Bootcamp
- Clean Air Compliance Institute
- Clean Water Compliance Institute
- Environmental Compliance Bootcamp
- RCRA Compliance Bootcamp
- TSCA Compliance
- U.S. Environmental Laws
This course can be taught at your facility. Find out more.
For more information...
Contact ABS Consulting directly via e-mail, telephone or fax...
firstname.lastname@example.org | Tel: 1-800-769-1199 | Fax: 1-281-673-2931
OR submit a question or request and we'll get back to you...